***********************************************
WORLDWIDE
FOREST/BIODIVERSITY CAMPAIGN NEWS
Papua
New Guinea: Government vs Loggers, Landowners, Ecologists
***********************************************
Forest
Networking a Project of Ecological Enterprises
7/22/96
OVERVIEW
& SOURCE by EE
Following
is an insightful press release from the InterPress Service which
does a
good job of paraphrasing Papua New Guinea's increased criticism from
all
sides concerning its current forest policy.
A huge expanse of lowland
rainforests'
future is being determined in an overtly power politics based
fashion. Somewhere in the middle between the timber
industry, landholders,
the PNG
government and ecologists lies community eco-forestry efforts.
g.b.
*******************************
RELAYED
TEXT STARTS HERE:
/*
Written 3:07 PM Jul 21, 1996 by newsdesk in
igc:reg.newguinea */
/*
---------- "IPS: PAPUA NEW GUINEA: Government v" ---------- */
Copyright 1996 InterPress Service, all
rights reserved.
Worldwide distribution via the APC
networks.
*** 18-Jul-96 ***
Title:
PAPUA NEW GUINEA: Government vs Loggers, Landowners, Ecologists
By
David Robie
PORT
MORESBY, Jul 18 (IPS) - The Papua New Guinea (PNG) government, foreign
logging
companies, environmentalists and landowners are all caught up in a
bitter
dispute over the country's timber and forestry policies.
The
Port Moresby authorities face criticisms all around, with the foreign
logging
concerns having threatened to pull out of the country unless the
government
scraps a new timber policy that stipulates increased royalties
to
landowners.
Top
executives of the "big six" foreign logging companies which control
most of
the industry have categorically stated they will not pay an extra
K10
(about seven dollars) a cubic metre royalty on top of current taxes
imposed
by the government this month at the insistence of the World Bank.
"There
is just no more money," said Forest Industries Association (FIA)
President
Francis Tiong, in an interview with his own newspaper 'The
National'
-- a fast growing daily.
Tiong,
head of the Malaysian concern Rimbunan Hijau, the biggest logging
company
in the country, added: "You think if there is money to be made, we
are
going to go to this extent to confront the government? The truth is we
are
losing money. We are going to close down."
FIA
executive officer Jim Belford of PNG, warned that in introducing the
new
policy, the government may have planted the "kiss of death" on its
dream
of having a timber processing industry in country.
But it
is not only the powerful logging industry that has taken the
government
to task. A lobby group for the landowner, have accused the
government
of failing to fulfil previous promises on royalty payments.
"All
forest landholders -- you are losing millions of kina!" read a full
page
advertisement carried in the influential weekly newspaper 'The
Independent'
last week.
Placed
by the Individual and Community Rights Advocacy Forum (ICRAF) and
funded
by Greenpeace, the advertisement made reference to Deputy Prime
Minister
Chris Haiveta's budget speech last November when he said: "I am
introducing
a new tax and landowner royalty system which will go into
effect
immediately."
According
to the landowner lobby group, while the government had already
started
imposing the new export tariff taxes, the graduated royalty for
landholders
had been delayed under pressure from the logging companies.
Currently
royalties paid to landowners are between four and five kina a
cubic
metre. The new government regime has increased that amount to between
six and
10 kinas. The market value of logs is about 160 kinas (about 118
dollars)
a cubic metre.
The
government has hardly had time to respond to the respective charges
from
the logging companies and landowners, as environmentalists have
launched
an attack on another front -- this time over a proposed new
national
forestry policy due to be tabled in parliament later this month.
Environmentalists
say the policy is no more than "a business brochure to
tell
everybody what remains to be logged" and does little in terms of
measures
to protect Papua New Guinea's fast dwindling forest cover.
An
estimated 15 million hectares, worth about 100 billion kinas (74 billion
dollars)
at current prices, of lowland rainforest remains in Papua New
Guinea.
More than half of this has already been allocated for logging.
The
environmental lobby has warned that the country may soon be stripped
bare of
forest cover and has drawn up an "alternative NGO forest policy"
which
calls for a major shift to small and medium scale sustainable
community
forest projects.
Brian
Brunton, an ICRAF lawyer and former judge who is also a forest
specialist
for Greenpeace, says government's forestry policies are flawed
because
they are export-oriented and tailored to the needs of the foreign
logging
concerns.
"Information
and statistics are hard to come by. The sole concern of the
government
is logging and planning future logging. No attention is being
paid to
conservation needs, biodiversity priority, and non-timber use of
the
forests."
Brunton
had been a highly effective NGO representative on the government's
forestry
board until he was dumped by Forest Minister Andrew Baing in a
shake-up
that activists say favoured the pro- logging lobby.
Among
the newcomers on the board is Tiong, who ironically, may turn out to
be the
government's worst nightmare.
"The
industry, the FIA, is saying that there is no more affordability for
the
operators," he said, in reference to the new timber policy. "If the
government
wants to give more to the landowners, then it must come from the
government's
portion."
Tiong,
speaking for the six major logging concerns -- Cakara Alam, Open Bay
Timber,
Rimbunan Hijau, Stettin Bay Lumber Company and the WTK group -- and
smaller
FIA members, said the government that rather than pay the new
royalties,
the companies would close shop and look for greener pastures.
If that
happens, he added, PNG would immediately lose between 400 million
and 500
million kinas (between 296 and 370 million dollars) in income, and
three
times that in potential earnings. In additional, more than 10,000
local
jobs would be lost.
According
to Belford, the foreign logging companies would have no choice
but to
pull out unless the timber policy is shelved.
By his
calculations, with the new policy, industry is being asked to pay
more
than 50 per cent of income in tax revenue -- 36 per cent to government
and 15
per cent to landowners. Counted with operating costs, this means
most
companies would then be operating at a loss, he said.
On a
recent trip to Malaysia, Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Julius Chan
appeared
to have buckled under the pressure when he was quoted by reporters
saying
he would change the policy. But while the news was widely reported
here,
there is no sign yet the government intends to back down.(END/IPS/AP-
EN-IP-DV/DR/CPG/96)
Origin:
Manila/PAPUA NEW GUINEA/
----
[c] 1996, InterPress Third World News
Agency (IPS)
All rights reserved
May
not be reproduced, reprinted or posted to any system or
service outside of the APC
networks, without specific
permission from IPS. This limitation includes distribution
via
Usenet News, bulletin board systems, mailing lists,
print media
and broadcast. For information
about cross-
posting, send a message to
<ips-info@igc.apc.org>.
For
information
about print or broadcast reproduction please
contact the IPS coordinator at
<ipsrom@gn.apc.org>.
###RELAYED
TEXT ENDS###
This
document is a PHOTOCOPY and all recipients should seek permission from
the
source for reprinting. You are
encouraged to utilize this information
for
personal campaign use; including writing letters, organizing campaigns
and
forwarding. All efforts are made to
provide accurate, timely pieces;
though
ultimate responsibility for verifying all information rests with the
reader. Check out our Gaia Forest Conservation
Archives at URL=
http://forests.lic.wisc.edu/forests/gaia.html
Networked
by:
Ecological
Enterprises
Email
(best way to contact)-> gbarry@forests.org