***********************************************

WORLDWIDE FOREST/BIODIVERSITY CAMPAIGN NEWS

Indonesia:  Business as Usual as Doubtful Forestry Practices Continue

***********************************************

Forest Networking a Project of Ecological Enterprises

   http://forests.org/

 

12/7/97

OVERVIEW, SOURCE & COMMENTARY by EE

Fourt-five of the 144 timber exploitation licenses that were revoked

during the Indonesian forest infernos have been reinstated.  The

permits allow companies to make use of the timber and wood from areas

that have been converted into plantations, timber estates or

settlement areas.  It is unclear whether they will face any sanctions

at all.  Its business as usual as the Indonesian forest liquidation

"fire sale" continues apace. 

g.b.

 

*******************************

RELAYED TEXT STARTS HERE:

 

Title:    Jakarta reinstates 45 permits revoked for forest burning

          violations

Source:   Agence France-Presse

Status:   Copyright 1997, contact source for reprint permissions

Date:     Tuesday, December 2, 1997

 

JAKARTA, Dec 2 (AFP) - Indonesian authorities have reinstated 45 of

144 timber exploitation permits held by companies that were revoked in

October following widespread forest fires, a report said Tuesday.

 

The permits were returned to the companies after they met requirements

for clearing land and forest areas without fire and for possessing

adequate equipment, personnel and funds to do so, the Antara news

agency quoted a senior forestry official as saying.

 

The forestry ministry's director of forest exploitation, Sugeng

Widodo, said that 36 of the reinstated permits were held by timber

estate companies and nine by plantation companies.

 

The 45 permits were held by 21 companies. 

 

The Antara news agency said the permits of three companies linked to

timber baron Muhamad "Bob'" Hasan were among those reinstated.

 

On October 3, Indonesia revoked a total of 151 timber permits held by

29 companies suspected of using fire to clear their concessession for

new planting or expansion.

 

Of the 144 revoked in October, not 151 as reported earlier by the

ministry, Widodo said 99 had yet to be reinstated.

 

The permits allow companies to make use of the timber and wood from

areas that have been converted into plantations, timber estates or

settlement areas.

 

The government has blamed forestry and plantation companies for most

of the forest and ground fires which have raged around the country for

most of the year, causing a thick smoke haze that has blanketed the

region and caused serious air traffic disruptions and health problems.

 

Widodo however did not say whether the companies were still facing

legal sanctions for the slash and burn practices that caused the

companies to lose their permits in October.

 

The authorities said earlier that they were investigating the 29

companies for damaging or polluting the environment following the

fires on their concession areas.

 

###RELAYED TEXT ENDS### 

This document is a PHOTOCOPY for educational, personal and non-

commercial use only.  Recipients should seek permission from the

source for reprinting.  All efforts are made to provide accurate,

timely pieces; though ultimate responsibility for verifying all

information rests with the reader.  Check out our Gaia Forest

Conservation Archives at URL= http://forests.org/ 

Networked by Ecological Enterprises, gbarry@forests.org