***********************************************
WORLDWIDE
FOREST/BIODIVERSITY CAMPAIGN NEWS
Indonesian
Reforestation Fund Confiscated
***********************************************
Forest
Networking a Project of Ecological Enterprises
http://forests.org/
6/25/98
OVERVIEW
& COMMENTARY by EE
The
Indonesian forest expanse has been plundered for the benefit of a
very
few, with consequences for generations to come. Following is
coverage
of confiscation of the "reforestation" fund that was
apparently
used for everything but its purpose.
g.b.
*******************************
RELAYED
TEXT STARTS HERE:
Title: Reforestation funds confiscated from
Suharto-linked firms
Source: Agence France-Presse
Status: Copyright 1998, contact source for
permission to reprint
Date: June 25, 1998
JAKARTA,
June 24 (AFP) - Indonesia's new government has confiscated
millions
of dollars of reforestation funds from firms associated with
former
president Suharto, a senior minister said Wednesday.
Forestry
and Plantations Minister Muslimin Nasution said the funds had
been
retrieved following an investigation into the way the previous
administration
had re-routed money into Suharto-linked firms.
Nasution
said a probe had failed to find incidents of diversion of
funds,
and "we have already been able to retrieve and suspend the ones
that
were not yet used."
There
has been mounting pressure for the government to investigate the
wealth
of Suharto and his family. Critics accuse the family and
associates
of having enriched themselves during his 32-year rule which
ended
on May 21 when Suharto stood down.
Nasution
said among the funds retrieved was 80 billion rupiah (5.4
million
dollars) in credit awarded to Suharto's grandson Ari Sigit for
a
fertilizing project.
He said
the previous minister had deposited the money at an interest
rate of
16 percent, with the earnings later loaned to Sigit at an 18
percent
annual interest rate.
"This
(fund) is not lost because we have retrieved it," he said.
He also
said a 200 billion rupiah (13.4 million) reforestation fund
that
was going to be awarded to a firm owned by Muhammad "Bob" Hasan,
Suharto's
timber tycoon golfing buddy and a former trade minister, had
been withheld.
"That
fund was not yet used, so because of that we have held it back,"
he
added.
The
majority of the shares in Hassan firm, PT Kiani paper
manufacturing,
are owned by Suharto-linked foundations.
A huge
proportion of reforestation funds had reportedly been rerouted
into
the national airplane manufacturing company, PT IPTN, during the
Suharto
administration.
But
Nasution said his ministry was still checking on whether or not
those
funds had been used "for other purposes including for IPTN and
the
buying of shares into PT DSTP."
PT DSTP
is a company formed and chaired by by Suharto to finance the
building
of a 130-seat passenger plane, the N-2130. It was the pet
project
of Indonesia's new president B.J. Habibie when minister of
research
and technology.
###RELAYED
TEXT ENDS###
This
document is a PHOTOCOPY for educational, personal and non-
commercial
use only. Recipients should seek
permission from the
source
for reprinting. All efforts are made to
provide accurate,
timely
pieces; though ultimate responsibility for verifying all
information
rests with the reader. Check out our
Gaia Forest
Conservation
Archives at URL= http://forests.org/
Networked
by Ecological Enterprises, gbarry@forests.org