***********************************************
WORLDWIDE
FOREST/BIODIVERSITY CAMPAIGN NEWS
British
Green Group to Monitor Cambodian Forests
***********************************************
Forest Networking a Project of Forests.org
http://forests.org/ -- Forest
Conservation Archives
http://forests.org/web/ -- Discuss Forest
Conservation
12/23/99
OVERVIEW
& COMMENTARY
During
recent travels the following account of Global Witness, a
British
NGO, being appointed to monitor Cambodian Forests slipped
through
the cracks. I am sending it on a few
weeks later
nonetheless,
given the importance of the precedent being set.
Governments
that have proven unable to monitor their forests, yet
claim
that they wish to do so, now have another option. Third party
monitoring,
particularly by civil society, may contribute
significantly
to ending predatory logging being waged by outlaws.
This
Cambodian government policy is all the more significant given
the
fact that Global Witness has been highly critical of Cambodian
forest
policy in the past. This is exactly
what gives them
credibility
and independence. Other tropical
countries plagued by
forest
sector mismanagement and corruption would do well to take
this,
or similar steps, to open up their processes and get serious in
cracking
down on illegal activities. In Cambodia
at least there is
the
"chance that illegal loggers might actually get arrested."
Rather
than this being a shocking exception, it should be the rule of
law
that is rigorously enforced worldwide.
Once a rainforest is
gone,
it is gone (for many human lifetimes anyway).
Manage it
wisely,
or lose it--to the detriment of local communities, nations,
regions
and the global ecological system. Here
are three articles
concerning
this news and challenges facing Cambodia's forests.
g.b.
*******************************
RELAYED
TEXT STARTS HERE:
ITEM #1
Title: British green group to monitor Cambodian
forests
Source: Reuters
Status: Copyright 1999, contact source for
permission to reprint
Date: December 3, 1999
PHNOM
PENH - A British environmental group that for years has
campaigned
against illegal logging in Cambodia has been appointed an
independent
monitor of the country's forestry sector, a group
representative
said yesterday.
"We've
been a thorn in the side of the government for years so it's
extraordinary
they're taking this step," Patrick Alley, of the group
Global
Witness, told a news conference.
"This
is a great day for us. This role gives us a direct formal feed
into
the enforcement process and full access to timber related
government
and concession records. This means there's a chance
illegal
loggers might actually be arrested."
Global
Witness has been highlighting mismanagement and corruption in
the
Cambodian foresty sector since the early 1990s. The group has
exposed
numerous cases of illegal felling and illicit timber exports.
Global
Witness will now report directly to the cabinet of Prime
Minister
Hun Sen as well as to Cambodia's aid donors.
The
World Bank, in a report last year, said illegal felling was being
carried
out at three to eight times sustainable levels and at that
rate,
Cambodia's forests would be commercially logged out within a
few
years.
Early
this year the government began a fresh crackdown on illegal
logging,
much of which is done by rogue army units.
The
crackdown has halted much felling, but environmental groups say
the
real test is coming now with the new dry season, when log cutting
and
transporting traditionally picks up.
ITEM #2
Title: Global Witness Appointed Independent
Monitor of Forestry
Sector
Source: Global Witness Press Release
Status: Copyright 1999, contact source for
permission to reprint
Date: December 2, 1999
British
environmental and human rights group Global Witness have been
appointed
as the official independent monitor of Cambodia's forestry
sector.
The appointment of a watchdog NGO to this kind of role is
probably
unique in world terms.
The
need for independent monitoring was identified at the 1999
Consultative
Group (CG), made up of Cambodia's donors, meeting in
Tokyo,
to ensure the Royal Government of Cambodia's (RGC) compliance
with
promised forestry reforms. The IMF's reengagement, and the World
Bank's
new Structural Adjustment Credit were conditional on the
signing
of the deal.
"This
is a great day for us," said Patrick Alley of Global Witness.
"This
role gives us a direct formal feed into the enforcement
process,
and full access to timber related RGC and concession
records.
If we report forest crime, the RGC has to act. This means
there
is a chance that illegal loggers might actually get arrested.
The
RGC's actions will be reported to Hun Sen, through the Council of
Ministers,
and to the quarterly meetings of the international
donors."
The
$140,000 deal, funded in the first year by a $600,000 grant from
Britain's
DFID, and a $150,000 grant from AusAid, channelled through
the
FAO, will allow Global Witness to open an office in Phnom Penh
and
take on local staff. "We will simply do more of what we already
do,"
said Alley. "The $140,000 funds the Cambodian office: we will
continue
to fund ourselves, and therefore, around 66% of total
project
costs."
The
independent monitoring role is part of the recently established
Forest
Crime Monitoring Unit, also made up of inspection teams from
the
Forestry Department and the Ministry of Environment, both of whom
will
receive the bulk of the funds.
"Forestry
reform has a long way to go, but the fact that the RGC have
accepted
us, a thorn in their side for years, as the monitor, is an
indication
of the new mood in government. Impunity has always been
the
problem in the forestry sector, so this deal will test the RGC's
resolve,
because they have to investigate and take action on reported
crimes,"
said Alley. "And a lot of the perpetrators have friends in
high
places."
For
further information contact Global Witness: PO Box 6042, London
N19
5WP; Tel: +44 171 272 6731; Fax: + 44 171 272 9425; email:
mail@globalwitness.demon.co.uk;
Internet:
http://www.oneworld.org/globalwitness/
ITEM #3
Title: ADB Concession review Puts Cambodian
Forestry Reform at Risk
Source: Global Witness Press Release
Status: Copyright 1999, contact source for
permission to reprint
Date: December 2, 1999
The
Asia Development Bank (ADB) funded concession review, one of the
most
crucial elements of forestry reform in Cambodia, has been
crippled
by time and financial constraints resulting from
shortcomings
in the ADB management process. The review, a major
recommendation
of the World Bank funded TA Projects in May 1998, was
intended
to identify those concessions which should be terminated for
repeated
infractions, and those which should remain, with re-
negotiated
contracts.
The
Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC) expected the concession review
to be
scheduled for January 1999, but the concession site inspections
did not
commence until October 1999.
This
resulted in:
* Site
inspections being carried out in the wet season. Consequently,
the
review team have not witnessed any harvesting operations or log
movements.
Access to the concessions was affected by bad road
conditions,
limiting the time available to carry out the inspections.
* Only
12 out of 21 concessions are scheduled to be visited, just 57%
of the
total.
* The
site inspectors spend one day in each concession. Concession
sizes
range from 60,000-766,000ha.
* Only
year 1999 and 2000 coupes (2 out of 25+ cutting areas per
concession)
are inspected. Thus, the majority of concession area is
not
inspected.
*
Concessionaires' forest management practices are judged purely on
the
basis of the one-day inspections. Therefore, 'one the ground'
compliance
with contracts, a crucial part of the review, are also
judged
on the basis of a snapshot one-day visit.
* It is
likely the review's recommendations will err on the side of
caution.
This, coupled with the fact that none of the
concessionaires'
historical records, including illegal activity and
poor
forest management, are being taken into account by the review,
means
that concessionaires who have severely depleted their own and
other
concessions are likely to enjoy impunity for their actions.
The
review team have found that all of Cambodia's concession land
will be
exhausted within seven years (some are currently logged out)
and
that current cutting levels cannot/should not be sustained. Also,
every
concessionaire has breached their contract for failing to
achieve
the required investment targets. "These findings are shocking
enough,"
said Patrick Alley of Global Witness. "The whole future of
concessions
in Cambodia needs to be reviewed-the forests cannot
sustain
21 concessions-period."
Global
Witness discussed these issues with the ADB on 1st December
1999.
The ADB stated that the site inspections of concessions had
been
extended by four weeks and that they would advise the review
team to
utilise all available information. They also confirmed that
they
will not recommend termination of any concessions. If the former
two
actions are carried out, it will be an improvement. The latter
point
confirms that the reviews findings will be bland. In any event,
unless
urgent changes are made, the review will still be far short of
the
'intensive' inspections described in Fraser Thomas' inception
report.
For
further information contact Global Witness: PO Box 6042, London
N19
5WP; Tel: +44 171 272 6731; Fax: + 44 171 272 9425; email:
mail@globalwitness.demon.co.uk;
Internet:
http://www.oneworld.org/globalwitness/
###RELAYED
TEXT ENDS###
This
document is a PHOTOCOPY for educational, personal and non-
commercial
use only. Recipients should seek
permission from the
source
for reprinting. All efforts are made to
provide accurate,
timely
pieces; though ultimate responsibility for verifying all
information
rests with the reader. Check out our
Gaia's Forest
Conservation
Archives & Portal at URL= http://forests.org/
Networked
by Forests.org, Inc., gbarry@forests.org