***********************************************
WORLDWIDE
FOREST/BIODIVERSITY CAMPAIGN NEWS
Cambodia
Cancels Log Deals, Hopes for More Aid
***********************************************
Forest
Networking a Project of Ecological Enterprises
http://forests.org/ -- Forest
Conservation Archives
http://forests.org/web/ -- Discuss
Forest Conservation
1/28/99
OVERVIEW
& COMMENTARY by EE
Cambodia
and Papua New Guinea are two countries where mismanagement of
forest
resources has reverberated to become an issue with multilateral
funding
agencies. In a bold move, Cambodia has
shown its commitment
to
slowing forest harvests--albeit with the explicit hope that this
will
result in more aid. And it should, aid
should be dependent upon
sustainable
resource use. Otherwise you are
throwing money down a
hole.
g.b.
*******************************
RELAYED
TEXT STARTS HERE:
Title: Cambodia Cancels Log Deals, Hopes for More
Aid
Source: Reuters
Status: Copyright 1999, contact source for
permission to reprint
Date: January 28, 1999
PHNOM
PENH, Jan 28 (Reuters) - The Cambodian government said on
Thursday
it was cancelling 12 logging concessions covering two million
hectares
(4.9 million acres) in an effort to assuage aid donors'
concerns
and win more international financial support.
Minister
of Agriculture Chhea Song said the timber concessions, held
by nine
Cambodian and foreign companies, were being cancelled because
the
firms had not fulfilled various technical requirements.
Cambodia's
aid donors, due to meet in Tokyo and decide on new help for
the
impoverished country on February 25-26, have been urging the
government
to halt rampant logging and ensure that revenues from the
industry
flow into state coffers.
The
International Monetary Fund suspended a support programme to
Cambodia
in 1997 largely due to the government's failure to collect
revenues
from the logging industry.
"I
believe Cambodia will gain more support from the international
community
because of this," Chhea Song told Reuters, referring to the
cancellation
of the concessions.
Chhea
Song said the companies had not complied with various rules and
deadlines
in their agreements.
He said
the two million hectares covered by the concessions would not
be
allocated to other logging companies but would become protected
forests.
"We
cancelled those contracts because they didn't respect the
agreements.
They didn't operate properly according to their
contracts,"
Chhea Song said. "We want to keep the areas as protected
zones
instead."
Environmental
groups and some U.N. officials say much of the
destruction
of Cambodia's dwindling forests is due to military units
logging
illegally in concession areas.
The IMF
said the government lost revenues of more than $100 million
due to
illegal logging in 1996. The sum was equivalent to more than a
third
of total budget revenue that year.
A
senior World Bank official said last year that Cambodia's forests
were
being cut at an alarming rate with very little benefit to
government
revenues.
The
World Bank estimated that 4.2 million cubic metres of timber was
cut in
1997, and forest resources would be depleted in three to five
years
if that rate of exploitation continued.
Prime
Minister Hun Sen ordered the latest government crackdown on
illegal
logging earlier this month, calling on the police and military
to use
force if necessary to wipe out what he called "anarchic"
felling.
Chhea
Song said Hun Sen fully backed the cancellation of the nine
concessions,
most of which are located in Kratie, Stung Treng and
Ratanakiri
provinces.
Two of
the companies which lost concessions were the Thai Boon Rong
Group
Ltd of Cambodian tycoon Theng Bunma, and Malaysia's Samling/SL
International,
Chhea Song said.
Cambodian
Finance Minister Keat Chhon said recently that Cambodia is
seeking
$1.3 billion in foreign aid over the next three years.
The
British-based environmental pressure group Global Witness this
week
urged Cambodia's aid donors to link their assistance to sound
long-term
logging practices.
"As
the forests will be logged out by 2003 we cannot return to the old
scenario
where the government makes a raft of promises before (an aid
donors')
meeting and then does nothing," the group said.
###RELAYED
TEXT ENDS###
This
document is a PHOTOCOPY for educational, personal and non-
commercial
use only. Recipients should seek
permission from the
source
for reprinting. All efforts are made to
provide accurate,
timely
pieces; though ultimate responsibility for verifying all
information
rests with the reader. Check out our
Gaia Forest
Conservation
Archives at URL= http://forests.org/
Networked
by Ecological Enterprises, gbarry@forests.org