SFI URBAN AND COMMUNITY FOREST SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD DEVELOPMENT
SFI’s mission is to advance sustainability through forest-focused collaborations. As part of the collaborative process, SFI invited everyone to participate in the SFI Standard Development process.
LAUNCH STANDARD DEVELOPMENT
Call for SFI Standards Revision Task Group Nominees – April, 2021.
Kick-off standard development task group meetings May – October 2021.
First public comment period (30 days) November 2021.
2021 – 2022
Second Task Group Meetings 1st quarter 2022.
Second 30 day public comment period – July 2022.
FINALIZE & LAUNCH NEW SFI STANDARD
WORKSHOPS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
SFI’s mission is to advance sustainability through forest-focused collaborations. As part of the collaborative process, SFI invites everyone to participate in the SFI Standard Development process.
- Introduction to the SFI Urban and Community Forest Sustainability Standard – Thursday, July 7th, 2022, from 2pm to 3:30pm eastern/ 11am to 12:30pm pacific. Missed the webinar? Watch recording here.
- Focus on Objectives 1 through 7 of the SFI Urban and Community Forest Sustainability Standard – Tuesday July 12th, 2022, from 2pm to 3:30pm eastern/ 11am to 12:30pm pacific. Missed the webinar? Watch recording here.
- Focus on Objectives 8 through 16 of the SFI Urban and Community Forest Sustainability Standard – Thursday July 14th, 2022, from Noon to 1:30pm eastern/9am to 10:30am pacific. Missed the webinar? Watch recording here.
All comments and discussion during SFI Standard development webinars will be included for Task Group consideration.
The CFI Podcast: Paul Johnson on SFI’s new Urban & Community Forestry Sustainability Standard
URBAN FORESTRY TASK GROUP
The SFI Urban-Community Forestry Task Group review all comments and develop the draft standard. The Task Group is established for the duration of the standard creation until completion in 2022.
The SFI standard development process is based on balanced representation from many different interest groups. This inclusion is also reflected in Task Group composition reflecting a diversity of interest groups as well as a balanced representation of expertise, gender, race and geographical location. Examples of interest groups included as part of the standard revision process include:
- Tree-based non-profit (US & Canada)
- Forest-based non-profit
- Utility Forestry/Vegetation Management
- Federal (US & Canada)
- International Urban Forestry
- State Forestry
- Municipal (over and under 500,000 population)
- University (large & small, public & private)
- Nursery Industry (US & Canada) Commercial
- Arboriculture and Urban Forestry Professionals
- Municipal Tree Care Professional Organization
- Community & Corporate Sustainability
- Forestry Professionals Organization
- Urban Wood Use
- Conservation (US & Canada)
- Underserved Communities
- Indigenous peoples
- Real estate/Homeowners Association
- Wildlife Professionals
- Allied Professions
TASK GROUP RESPONSIBILITIES
Task Group members are expected to participate in the following tasks, under the direction of the respective Task Group Chairs:
- Review submitted comments from public comment periods and Standard Revision Workshops that correspond to each task group’s focus area.
- Prepare revised Standard text (first and subsequent drafts) for review by the SFI Resources Committee, incorporating their feedback as required.
The SFI Standards development process ensures credibility and transparency allowing everyone to participate. Broad involvement from the conservation community, Indigenous communities, brand owners, government agencies, trade associations, academia and others is integral to the development of the SFI Standards. The online public comment period is part of this process.
SFI PUBLIC COMMENT PERIODS
There are two public comment periods. The first comment period on the first SFI Urban-Community Forestry Sustainability Standard will run in November 2021. The second comment period will run July 2022 through to August 8, 2022. The entire SFI Urban-Community Forest Sustainability Standard will be available for comment.
The SFI Standard Development Task Group will consider all feedback from the public comment periods and the SFI Standard Revision Workshops.
The SFI Board of Directors considers and approves the SFI Standards.
SFI URBAN AND COMMUNITY FOREST SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD SECOND DRAFT
SFI LAUNCHES PARTNERSHIP FOR URBAN AND COMMUNITY FORESTS
STANDARD DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
Full SFI 2022 Standards and Rules Documentation
Major Enhancements in the SFI 2022 Standards
Transition to the SFI 2022 Standards and Rules
Draft SFI Urban and Community Forest Sustainability Standard
Second Draft SFI Urban and Community Forest Sustainability Standard
Norme de durabilité des forêts urbaines et communautaires
Guidance For SFI Urban and Community Forest Sustainability Standard Second Draft
Document d’orientation sur les exigences de la Norme de durabilité des forêts urbaines et communautaires
Senior Director, Standards
Manager, SFI Office of Label Use and Licensing
Director, Urban and Community Forestry
Tel: 202-719-1389 ext 473